Student data is at the heart of Student CRM, and we have always given you strong controls to help you comply with the Data Protection Act and PECR, but GDPR takes it to a whole new level. GDPR is a game changer. Hold on tight.
Being transparent and open
Perhaps not always the first words most people think of when looking at some marketers (not you of course), but being transparent and open is about to become a prerequisite for success.
Under GDPR, consent will now have to be earned. Students who do not see value in what you are offering will simply not give you consent to market to them in the future. And you will now give them new smart tools to make it crystal clear that they are now fully in charge of the relationship's dynamics. Boot on other foot.
The only way through this will be to adopt a transparent and clear policy on all aspects of data privacy. Those Universities who embrace the spirit of GDPR will be the winners.
Getting it right is not going to be difficult or onerous, just different.
For marketers there are new rules
A few changes to make. A few new practices to learn.
- Consent: All of your Student CRM web forms that collect data from students (enquirers, applicants, alumni, etc) will need to be updated to take account of the new consent obligations.
- Evidence: you will have to be able to quickly produce evidence of how each student gave you their consent.
- Marketing: you will have to create compliant email, SMS, post and tel campaigns.
- Rights: you will have to comply with subjects exercising their new rights.
- Policies: it now becomes vital that you have easy access to all of your own University's Data Protection various new policy, procedure and process documents from within Student CRM.
- And more... there is no point in listing all the new obligations here, however you may wish to download and read The ICO's three GDPR guidance documents. Suffice to say, there is a bit of homework to do.
Find out more about: